The Army Corp of Engineers has a very nice campground at Lake Thurmond, Petersburg campground.
Hamilton Branch State Park, (SC State Park) has nice camping facilities
Hickory Knob State Park, (SC State Park) offers camping and lodging and is near Baker Creek and Hickory Knob trails
Mistletoe State Park, (GA State Park) has camping and cottages and Mistletoe, Keg Creek and Bartram trails are nearby
Lick Fork Recreation Area, (US Forest Service) has camping facilities and is at Horn Creek Trail and near to Turkey Creek, Wine Creek, and Modoc trails
Hard Earth Farm Camp - A nature and farm camp experience offering private primitive camping near FATS
Any hotel in the Augusta, Martinez, or Evans area of Georgia will all be within 15-20 minutes of FATS and most trails in the area
Hotels in Aiken, SC will be approximately 45 minutes from most of the trails in the local area
Augusta Convention and Visitors Bureau, http://www.augustaga.org/
Columbia County Convention & Visitors Bureau, https://www.visitcolumbiacountyga.com/
Check our web page since sometimes the Forest Service may close FATS if the trails are too wet or are having controlled burns. Usually the other trails are open when it is closed because they drain faster and have less traffic.
The Twitter feed: FATSUpdate will provides up to date information on FATS weather status.
Look at our web site Trails section for the following trails:
- Bartram Trails are great (can ride directly from the Petersburg campground, go right or left)
- Keg Creek (can ride there from Petersburg campground)
- Modoc, Turkey and Wine are all a very close drive to Petersburg campground and/or Hamilton Branch
- A little further up the road is Horn Creek (Lick Fork Recreation Area)
- In McCormick, SC you have Hickory Knob at Hickory Knob State Park (SC state park) and Baker Creek State Park
- Boyd Pond Trail is the closest trail to Aiken, SC
LOCAL BIKE SHOPS:
We have several local bike shops in the area:
- Andy Jordan's Bicycle Warehouse, Augusta, GA, andyjordans.com, 706-724-6777
- Chain Reaction, Martinez, GA, chainreactionbicycles.net, 706-855-2024
- Outspokin Bicycles, Augusta, GA, outspokinaugusta.com, 706-736-2486
- Aiken CycleSport, Aiken, SC, 803-641-0910
The Central Savannah River Area (CSRA) is on the border between SC and GA, so trails can be in either state but only a few miles apart.
You can also look at the SORBA-CSRA Forum for rides or feedback on the other trail
Visit these sites to find out where to eat, where to stay, and information on Local Visitor Attractions and Events in the Central Savannah River Area (Augusta, Evans, Martinez, GA and Aiken SC)